How We Integrate Our Curriculum
The San Marin smARTt program works collaboratively by creating opportunities for students from our wide array of courses to work together on a multitude of projects. These projects include, but are not limited to:
- Art Teacher teaches painting techniques to Theatre Tech Students.
- Art classes create posters for fall and spring plays and musicals.
- Music Teacher leads singing class for Advanced Drama Students.
- Music and Drama work together to create a schedule so that drama and music students can be in both classes and both music and drama productions.
- Many Journalism students are in both drama and journalism and have created an ARTS standout section of the student newspaper so there is an equal playing field with Sports.
- Drama and Tech Theatre students are given a press release assignment twice a year. We stress the importance of promoting upcoming shows to fill our theatre.
- Drama Teacher works with Creative Writing in the Poetry Outloud section of Creative Writing.
- Art displayed at all music and drama productions.
- English teachers have been cast in three classic drama productions: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, The Diary of Anne Frank and often give students extra credit for attendance at other classics like Huck Finn, The Crucible and Our Town.
- Music’s recording studio has given students the opportunity of recording their own CD’s. Music, dance and choral students work together to create musicals and other shows.
- Advanced Drama and Tech Theatre in collaboration with the Marin County District Attorney’s office have partnered together in the making of two movies: Irreversible Consequences (about the consequences of texting and drinking while driving) and currently our new movie about Cyberbullying.
- Advanced drama students have learned how to work in front of camera as well as on the stage in addition to being advisors on the scripts for both productions. The important messages in their work have been seen by over 1500 students throughout Marin County.
- Art to design a mural incorporating all smARTt classes on the side of the Fine Arts and Performing Arts Building.